Monday, December 29, 2008

Prospecting A New Year...

I have seen 51 New Years! Actually I don't remember them all but I do remember several. They were viewed with hope and prospect for another year of living for Christ, my family and others. Some were spent with friends and several at church events of all-nighters and Home Group parties.

It's an interesting phenomenon isn't it? We look at the past year (or even further back) with a critical and even a judgmental eye and see the failures and missed opportunities and we beat ourselves up for them. Then we look at the New Year and think,,"Ah, I have a a window of time to make a new plan and set a new course. I'll live differently." We determine some new patterns of behavior and ring the New Year in with lots of anticipation, and partying too! But if we are normal, it takes us about 3 weeks to give up. Even research tells us that generally we quit a new plan by the 21st day, especially in January. Ugh!

I decided many years ago that New Year's Resolutions were actually not a good thing. I decided that a better way to live life was seeing it from God's perspective and design. From that pivital point I began to live today for what today was meant to be and looking to eternity for what it will be. One eye on today and one eye on eternity. Everything I do today has everything to do with what happens in eternity. The pressure was off. Now I can live like Paul said, "For to me to live, Christ. The life I live I no longer live for myslef. The life I live I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave up himself for me." (Philippians 1:21 and Galatians 2:20).

One of my life foundational statements is: I consider my life as of no value to me so that I may complete the task the Lord Jesus gave me to do. (Acts 20:24). May 2009 be a year of progress and growth in your journey with Jesus. May it be a year where you become a better Christ follower and where others find a relationship with Him because of your life, your love and your good deeds.

HAPPY NEW YEAR...!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best blog yet! Good stuff.

Matt

Unknown said...

Thanks!